Hartley Dental in Plymouth has confirmed that tooth decay within younger children has increased in the area over the past year.
Research has revealed that around 26,000 primary school children were treated for tooth decay.
Nearly 500 children between the ages 5 and 9 were admitted into hospital every week in 2013-14, making tooth decay the most common cause of hospital visits among children of this age. Tooth extractions are becoming increasingly necessary, with many cases forcing dentists to remove all 20 baby teeth from a child’s mouth.
This increase has been blamed on several contributing factors but the finger is being pointed at excessive consumption of fizzy drinks and fruit juices. The main reason for this is not the actual drinks themselves, but a lack of understanding about the surprising effects they can have on oral health.
Many people believe that just because something is low in calorie, however, this isn’t the case as research unearthed some worrying results in what appeared to be healthy drinks.
- Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice (500ml) contains: 51 g of sugar. This is the equivalent of 13 McVities Hobnob Biscuits.
- This Water Pure Squeezed Lemon and Lime (250ml) contains: 21.3 g of sugar. This is like adding 4 teaspoons of sugar to a glass of water, only 20 percent less sugar than a glass of Coke.
- Innocent Pomegranate, Blueberry & Acai Superfood Smoothie (250ml) contains: 34.3 g of sugar. This so called healthy smoothie could deliver 100% of your RDA for sugar.
So what can we do?
All it takes is a few simple steps to reduce your child’s risk of tooth decay.
- Avoid sugary drinks and snacks.
- Brush teeth regularly and thoroughly.
- Make regular visits to the dentist.
Over the last few years Hartley Dental in Plymouth has developed their services to offer the full range of Dental and Cosmetic procedures, from entry level Dental Care plans, to full mouth restoration, and from Teeth Whitening to Facial Rejuvenation.
The family dental practice located in the heart of Plymouth have recently grown and as a result of this have taken on three new staff members.
They are also aware that every child is precious which is why they like to be involved in the process of optimising your child’s oral health. While a visit from the tooth fairy is always welcome, let’s do all we can to put her off arriving sooner than expected.
So call 01752 548848 to book an appointment and see how Hartley Dental can help prevent tooth decay in your child.